Seen in more than a few movies, The Bradbury Building is almost a character unto itself.
The Bradbury opened in 1893, long before the movies ever came to L.A. For the record, it’s not named after sci-fi novelist Ray Bradbury, but for Lewis Bradbury– a gold mining millionaire who decided he wanted to make a building with his name on it.
In 1892, Lewis Bradbury commissioned Sumner Hunt, a famous architect, to design his building.
As the story goes, Bradbury didn’t like any of the plans that Hunt showed him, and so, disappointed, was on his way out when, for some reason, one of Hunt’s young draftsmen caught his eye. George Wyman, the draftsman, had no professional training as an architect.
Bradbury pulled Wyman aside and asked him to build his very important half-million dollar office building.
Here are some of the productions that have used The Bradbury Building as a location:
“D.O.A.” (1950) featuring Edmund O’Brien.
The Outer Limits episode “Demon With A Glass Hand” (1964), with Robert Culp.
Bruce Lee in “Marlowe” (1969).
Of course, “Blade Runner” (1982) with Harrison Ford.
Jack Nicholson was there for “Wolf” (1994).
The Bradbury, as seen in the film "The Artist" (2011).