PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:55 am 
Regular

Unfortunately very more sad news for the guitar world:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17781762

RIP Bert Weedon

Post subject: Re: RIP Bert Weedon
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:45 pm 
Regular

I think every Guitarist in the UK over 40 owes him an enormous debt of gratitude.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:54 pm 
Regular

It took me more than a day :( . RIP Bert.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:30 pm 
The Citizen

Heard this sad news, this evening, on the radio in my car as I made my weary way home from a non-stop first day, working as producer on a Big Country recording session.

I had Bert's 'Play In A Day' book when I got my first 'proper' guitar. (A Zenith acoustic archtop.) My dad bought me the guitar second-hand and Bert's book brand new. I didn't really learn much from the book in terms of musical notation...(those squiggly black things on the bar lines confused me back then as much as they confuse me now,) but I did like the pictures of Bert with his beautiful golden Hofner guitar. His tips on how to hold the plectrum and the correct way to hold the guitar were helpful too. I also recall, with fondness, his weekly guitar lessons on the children's tv show '5 O'Clock Club.' Ironically, only the other week I was listening to one of his old hits, titled 'Sorry Robbie' and I sensed, somehow, that his life was coming to an end. Thanks for the help and inspiration Bert.

I also heard, today, of the death of Levon Helm...one of my favourite musicians of all time. I saw him live, in the '70s, at 'The Last Waltz' in San Francisco...(The Band's farewell concert.) Anyone who has a copy of that concert on DVD should take a look and listen again to appreciate what a truly unique and gifted man he was. I loved his playing and singing and always will, a great, great musician.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:00 am 
Regular

Location: At the Fireworks Factory with the Sons of Anarchy.... Dreamsville Chapter
RIP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:18 am 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:

I also heard, today, of the death of Levon Helm...one of my favourite musicians of all time. I saw him live, in the '70s, at 'The Last Waltz' in San Francisco...(The Band's farewell concert.) Anyone who has a copy of that concert on DVD should take a look and listen again to appreciate what a truly unique and gifted man he was. I loved his playing and singing and always will, a great, great musician.

He would have loved you too, Bill. I always secretly wished that you would have made your way to one of the 'Midnight Ramble' shows that Levon held at his barn in Woodstock, NY, The few that i got to attend were magical.

A very, very nice man. A true Southern Gentleman and a tremendous musical talent,

RIP, Levon. :(

http://www.levonhelm.com/